funsec mailing list archives

Rachel from Cardholder Services

From: Bruce Ediger <bediger () stratigery com>
Date: Wed, 29 Apr 2015 14:30:24 -0600 (MDT)

I get a lot of calls from "Ann" or "Rachel" from "Account Services"
or "Cardholder Services". Aren't these folks breaking US law by spoofing
caller ID?

Does anybody know how these underground businesses are set up?  I'm guessing
that the actual telephone calls take place from hacked PBXs, and those
perps hand off to a second "boiler room" outfit, because I can listen
through all the recorded messages, but I often get hung up after that.

Third, is there any way to find out who does this, and have them prosecuted
to the fullest extent of the law?  It's pretty clear that the FTC do-no-call
registery complaints web page just deletes all input data. Someone must care,
right?

Fourth, I'd like to call upone every human to NOT hang up, but rather to
listen to the recorded scam message, and even try to talk to the human,
to keep the PBX lines tied up as long as possible. I'm coming to believe
that every one who can, should waste cold caller's time, run honey pots
and generally intercept any scam communications possible. Who's with me?