funsec mailing list archives

A new reason not to trust the Web ...

From: "Rob, grandpa of Ryan, Trevor, Devon & Hannah" <rmslade () shaw ca>
Date: Fri, 6 Jun 2014 09:22:05 -0800

shrturl.co is a new redirector/URL shortening service.  With a difference.

You can edit the pages you redirect to.

I tried it out on my "home" page at http://victoria.tc.ca/techrev/rms.htm

I created http://shrturl.co/YI3dG

Or, if youu want to hide the fact that you are using the system, it conveniently
uses bit.ly to create an alternate: http://bit.ly/TmImHM

It seems to have some bugs in it.  As you can see, I couldn't edit the first
paragraph, and had problems with one immediately following a horizontal line.

Just to confirm, and make sure that it wasn't limited to unknown URLs, I tried
editting my entry at Wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert_Slade

Compare with: http://shrturl.co/16X5e or http://bit.ly/Sgm7lG

Apparently the editted URLs are only good for 48 hours, but that's ample time to
get into trouble these days.

======================  (quote inserted randomly by Pegasus Mailer)
rslade () vcn bc ca     slade () victoria tc ca     rslade () computercrime org
In security, BYOD is coming to mean `Buy (back) Your Owned Data.'
                                                               - rms
victoria.tc.ca/techrev/rms.htm http://www.infosecbc.org/links
http://blogs.securiteam.com/index.php/archives/author/p1/
http://twitter.com/rslade