funsec mailing list archives

Re: Cyber Security Research Alliance

From: Conrad Constantine <conrad () 1211 net>
Date: Thu, 25 Oct 2012 14:57:26 -0400

On 10/25/2012 2:41 PM, Rob, grandpa of Ryan, Trevor, Devon & Hannah wrote:
`Membership starts at $15,000 per year for “Affiliated Members”, to
$60,000 per year for founding members......'

https://www.securityweek.com/tech-giants-form-cyber-security-research-alliance
http://www.cybersecurityresearch.org/

I think I'll stick with my membership in the Vancouver Security SIG, where, for 30
years, we've managed to keep the annual membership fee at $0.

I'd also contest quite heavily, that of all the significant research in infosec over the past 20 years, less than 1% of useful results can be attributed to "Tech Giants" - almost everything of significance can be attributed to individuals. Sure, my own employer publishes the findings of guys in our labs too, but we don't pretend that the whole company had a hand in any of it.

What these 'alliances' really are, is more attempts to monetize and control the flow of information (sadly, a situation all to familiar to folks in the scientific community as well).

Alright, this message isn't very 'fun' at all now, so I leave you with my favorite lightbulb joke.

Q: How Many microsoft sales engineers does it take to change a lightbulb?

A: Two: one to hold the ladder, and another to hammer the bulb into the faucet.