funsec mailing list archives

Re: Will the digital cloud lead to a deluge of privacy class actions?

From: Rich Kulawiec <rsk () gsp org>
Date: Mon, 3 Dec 2012 12:44:18 -0500

On Mon, Dec 03, 2012 at 03:33:42PM +0000, Blanchard, Michael (InfoSec) wrote:
 When will people rise up and speak with their dollars and not buy these products until the TOS gets more realistic?

Been there, done that.  I have no Microsoft products.  I have no Kindle
or Nook or similar.  I have no iAnything.  (I do own one older Apple laptop.)
I have one (quite old) Sony product and will not purchase any more.  I have
nothing running Android.  And so on.

All of my personal systems run open-source software and have for quite
a long time.  (Modulo Solaris, which wasn't, then was, now isn't, and
is rapidly becoming a backwater thanks to Oracle's idiocy anyway.)

This (according to various people) makes me outdated, obsolete, out-of-step,
a dinosaur, unable to adapt, &etc.  I am willing to bet that they'll
continue to say that even when their books are wiped and their
applications disabled and their personal data harvested and sold
off to anyone with cash in hand.   So be it.

---rsk