funsec mailing list archives

Re: Will the digital cloud lead to a deluge of privacy class actions?

From: "Blanchard, Michael (InfoSec)" <michael.blanchard () emc com>
Date: Mon, 3 Dec 2012 16:37:59 +0000

I don't' want them to be able to remove ANYTHING from a device *I paid for*... nothing, nada, zip, ziltch....  I don't
care if they say "It's for your protection!"

 Who's to say that they decide they will decide to "protect you" from a particular title and don't' want you to read
Tom Sawyer because of some racial slurs in the book, or Moby Dick because it portrays vengeance and obsession....
They can just as easily remove those books, or any book, that "they" deem is inappropriate...  or perhaps they'll not
allow you to read "Mein Kamph" (sp?) simply because it was written by Hitler?

  If I want to read a book that describes how to torture kittens and turn them into walking zombies, I have the right
to do so without some company saying "It's for my protection"....
 If I buy the device, I have the right to use it in ANY manner I see fit... period....

With that said, it's not something most think about and just go into blindly...
 For me, It is a tough choice to make though...  If you *really* want to use that new gadget, you have to think about
the rights that you give up in order TO use that new gadget...
  It was like the choice I had to make 14 years ago to work at my present employer...  I'm against drug testing of any
kind, but I submitted to a pee test to work here.  I made the conscience choice to give up that bit of my beliefs, to
take a position I really wanted....   I don't' think I'll submit to another drug test ever again though... not because
I take illegal drugs, I don't at all, it's just the principle of it....

 Life is full of choices, it's a shame that most folks (mostly outside this list mind you) have no idea what they're
giving up if they make some of these choices....

 Mike B

Michael P. Blanchard
Senior Security Engineer, CISSP, GCIH, CCSA-NGX, MCSE
Office of Information Security & Risk Management
EMC ² Corporation
32 Coslin Drive
Southboro, MA 01772