funsec mailing list archives

Re: Blizzard Faces Class Action Over Battle.net Security

From: Jeffrey Walton <noloader () gmail com>
Date: Wed, 21 Nov 2012 13:48:00 -0500

On Wed, Nov 21, 2012 at 10:42 AM, David M Chess <chess () us ibm com> wrote:

http://www.gamepolitics.com/2012/11/09/blizzard-faces-class-action-over-battlenet-security

Two gamers have filed a class action against Blizzard Entertainment
last week on behalf of Battle.net account holders, accusing the
company of failing to properly secure players' personal information
and requiring them to purchase a Battle.net Authenticator "in order to
have even minimal protection for their sensitive personal, private,
and financial data."

Heh!  Don't know the details here, but this seems weird.  Blizzard offers
hardware two-factor authentication for a trivial fee, which is more than
most US banks do, ffs.  And they're being sued because it's not free?  Or
something?  Or because if you -don't- elect to use it, the resulting
security isn't as good?  Better they shouldn't have offered it at all, I
suppose.

(My World of Warcraft characters are better protected than like 99.9% of the
rest of my non-work-related digital data...)
I think their complaint is Blizzard failed in its responsibility to
protect their private/sensitive data. The players took extra measures
by purchasing the token, and Blizzard still failed.

Jeff