funsec mailing list archives

Public presentation of complex issues

From: "Rob, grandpa of Ryan, Trevor, Devon & Hannah" <rmslade () shaw ca>
Date: Wed, 25 Apr 2012 15:52:31 -0700

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-17838798#

I came across this by accident, and was disappointed that I'd hit the video clip
rather than an actual story.  (The fact that this clip is nominally about porn is not
really the point.)

What I found increasingly disturbing as the clip went on was how the deck was
loaded against reality.  The "criminologist" with the better jacket, better shirt, and
better haircut, who was in the studio, shot in part profile, and in front of a colour
background, was the guy blowing smoke.  (If you are going to say that the ISPs
should be responsible, they aren't the ones controlling your "rooter" [sorry].  Or,
if they did set it once, they don't do anything to it on an ongoing basis.)  The guy
who actually knows what he is talking about has made poor fashion choices (and
that's *his* fault), but he's also shot in full-face mugshot format, in front of a dull
grey background (and gets cut off at one point).  If they had deliberately set out to
relieve parents of responsibility they couldn't have done a better job.

======================  (quote inserted randomly by Pegasus Mailer)
rslade () vcn bc ca     slade () victoria tc ca     rslade () computercrime org
You see, wire telegraph is a kind of a very, very long cat.  You
pull his tail in New York and his head is meowing in Los Angeles.
Do you understand this?  And radio operates exactly the same way:
you send signals here, they receive them there.  The only
difference is that there is no cat.                - Albert Einstein
victoria.tc.ca/techrev/rms.htm http://www.infosecbc.org/links
http://blogs.securiteam.com/index.php/archives/author/p1/
http://twitter.com/rslade