funsec mailing list archives

Re: OK, all you EU guys who took the CEH just wasted your money

From: David M Chess <chess () us ibm com>
Date: Mon, 2 Apr 2012 12:41:18 -0400

That sounds like unadulterated "Comma 22" to me:
possession of burglarious tools is a felony *only* with intent to commit
burglary,
*but* the possession of burglarious tools shall be prima facie evidence
of an intent to commit burglary.

Well, you have to unpack "prima facie" a little there.  It means "at first
glace" or "before any rebuttal" or similar things.  It means that if you
have a crowbar the prosecutor (if he's bored enough, or you hit on his
daughter) can make a case against you and maybe get you to court, but if
you can say "sometimes I need to open crates; see, here's an opened crate
in my garage!", the judge should then say "have a nice day".  For some
value of "should"...

DC