funsec mailing list archives

College discovers decade-old viruses harvesting data

From: "Rob, grandpa of Ryan, Trevor, Devon & Hannah" <rmslade () shaw ca>
Date: Tue, 17 Jan 2012 13:59:51 -0800

http://www.infosecurity-magazine.com/view/23273/clueless-in-san-francisco-
college-discovers-decadeold-viruses-harvesting-data/

This rather reminded me of a story:

Once upon a time, back when BSIs were a Big Deal, I traced the first instance, in
our fair city, of one in particular to a certain institution of post-secondary
education.  Unfortunately, I did this for a media outlet.  Said institution rose up in
indignation.  I was contacted, and told, in no uncertain terms, that the institution
had no problem whatsoever with viruses.  They were certain of this, because,
every Friday, at the end of the day, they blew off all the machines in their
microcomputer labs, and re-installed the system and (apporved) software.

If you will recall, back in those days, students at colleges did all their work on
floppies, and had no accounts on the machines at the colleges.

So, in a sense, the institution was correct.  They had no problems with viruses.

Their students, however, did.

======================  (quote inserted randomly by Pegasus Mailer)
rslade () vcn bc ca     slade () victoria tc ca     rslade () computercrime org
We have met the enemy and he is us.           - Walt Kelly 1913-1973
victoria.tc.ca/techrev/rms.htm http://www.infosecbc.org/links
http://blogs.securiteam.com/index.php/archives/author/p1/
http://twitter.com/rslade