funsec mailing list archives

Re: xkcd on password strength

From: Jeffrey Walton <noloader () gmail com>
Date: Thu, 11 Aug 2011 15:16:47 -0400

On Thu, Aug 11, 2011 at 3:28 PM, Rob, grandpa of Ryan, Trevor, Devon &
Date sent:              Thu, 11 Aug 2011 18:21:14 +0100 (BST)
From:                   Drsolly <drsollyp () drsolly com>

I suspect that's the commonest problem today, and strength of password
does nothing to help.

It does if the bad guys use LANMAN and are limited to 14 characters  :-)
Apple's Screen Sharing (remote desktop) is no better at 8 character.
Before the latest release (Lion), Snow Leopard would not honor the
no-anonymous for me or the "Only allow these User" settings.

Jeff

[SNIP, SNIP, SNIP]