funsec mailing list archives

Re: xkcd on password strength

From: Larry Seltzer <larry () larryseltzer com>
Date: Wed, 10 Aug 2011 20:58:21 -0400

OK, how about "'Twas brillig and the slithy toves..."

On Wed, Aug 10, 2011 at 7:05 PM, Noon Silk <noonslists () gmail com> wrote:

On Thu, Aug 11, 2011 at 7:39 AM, Larry Seltzer <larry () larryseltzer com>
wrote:
Many years ago I wrote a column advocating "passphrases". A passphrase
like
"I really love white pizza." has many bits of entropy

It consists of many letters but I hardly think it has "many" bits of
entropy. Each letter is fairly dependent on the one prior to it. At
least the XKCD advocates nonsensical sentences, but they are still
words.

No denying passphrases are better, in general, though (and have been
proposed as such for several years now). And it's becoming more
possible to use them all the time; we just need to keep encouraging
programmers to facilitate and encourage it.

--
Noon Silk

Fancy a quantum lunch? http://groups.google.com/group/quantum-lunch?hl=en

of being this signature."