funsec mailing list archives

Re: Why I no longer Jailbreak my IPhone

From: Paul Vixie <vixie () vix com>
Date: Sat, 07 May 2011 17:09:19 +0000

mouse () rodents-montreal org (der Mouse) writes:

Thank you for pointing out how naked the emperor is.[%]

+1.

so i went for years upon years with real phones.  when they started to
get uppity i got seriously annoyed -- a softkey should not be able to
change its function between the time i decide to press it and the time
my thumb lands on it, but there i was starting conference calls or
whatever when what i really wanted to do was look up somebody's number.
(so, i was not a fan of the market effects of embedded java.)

i eventually realized that pocket computing was the future and that i
could avoid it by becoming that crazy old guy who's always yelling at
those kids to get offa my lawn... in fact i took some steps down that
path... but that would have been the easy way out, which i avoid.  but
i wasn't willing to do the apple thing because i couldn't stand the idea
of apple deciding what apps i was allowed to run.

so, android.  it ain't great.  in particular my droid2-global does not
speak asia's or europe's data standards so when i roam i'm voice+sms
only which is irritating.  and it's a terrible phone.  when people ask
me how i like my droid i usually say "it's a great pocket computer but
it's a horrible phone."  doesn't feel good in my hand or on my ear, and
the UI for making and managing calls is as counterintuitive as i could
possibly think of a way to make it.

but, it's nice to have a synch'd calendar in my pocket again.  and it
seems to have a music player so i should load that up.  the camcorder
app is surprisingly good.  so while i wish it had more battery life and
i wish it was a better phone, i do understand the attraction now that
i've taken the plunge.  i'm trying to get better at Angry Birds now.
--
Paul Vixie
KI6YSY