funsec mailing list archives

Re: Anonymous not freedom fighters

From: Dave Paris <dparis () w3works com>
Date: Sun, 13 Feb 2011 22:30:47 +0000

Bob,

The attack is accurately named.

Denial Of Service.

If it's a service I'm paying for and your attack is denying me of that
service, then it is clearly both forcible and injurious.  Paul's point
is salient and cogent.

Best~
-d

On 2/13/2011 2:58 PM, robert_mcmillan () idg com wrote:
Paul,

You write

"Denial of service is not merely a peaceful protest meant to garner
attention for a cause. Denial of service is forcible and it is injurious.
It is not like any form of civil disobedience, but rather it is criminal
behaviour more like looting. "

But is it really? If I loot your shop, I now possess something that
rightfully should belong to you. DoS isn't entirely like this. How is DoS
different from shutting down business at a brick-and-mortar location by
holding a big rally? They're both "forcible" and "injurious."

People are often arrested at these G20 protests, but they're generally
later released or charged with a misdemeanor. The consequences of those
arrests are much less severe than in the case of DoS attacks.  In fact,
the consequences of those protests seem much more severe than a DDoS
attack. I was in Toronto last summer and the city's center was essentially
shut down both in anticipation of the G20 protests, and then moreso when
the protests actually happened.

Anyhow, I'd be interested in seeing you expand on this a little more, as I
think it's an interesting question.

Bob