funsec mailing list archives

Re: Firesheep protection?

From: Robert Graham <robert_david_graham () yahoo com>
Date: Tue, 2 Nov 2010 22:55:18 -0700 (PDT)

It appears the developers have documented some of the plugin's
technical limitations at
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/12714/. Is this
supposed to be original research?

What?

People recommended Force-TLS as protection against sidejacking. I tried it. It
failed. I wouldn't call this "research", nor would I call it a particularly
original idea. Although, I would call it "original" from the perspective that it
was me who did it, as oppose to reporting on what others had done.

Hmm.... According to your closing comments, it fails under some
circumstances (XmlHttp)

What? It failed under all circumstances to prevent sidejacking of Twitter.

Is it fair to pounce on Rob, grandpa of Ryan, Trevor,
Devon & Hannah with "it does not work.... read <some blog>"?

Oops, I misunderstood his post. I thought he was recommending them, not asking
about them. I apologize.

Out of curiosity, did you inform Collin Jackson and Adam Barth, or are
you waiting for the developers to find <some blog>, much like MustLive
and his 0-day XSS vulnerabilities?

What? I didn't know that Force-TLS was designed to protect against this problem.
It doesn't sounds like it from the description.