funsec mailing list archives

Re: To see why iris scanning can be a biometric ...

From: Michael Simpson <mikie.simpson () gmail com>
Date: Wed, 25 Aug 2010 15:29:33 +0100

On 22 August 2010 05:19, Dan Kaminsky <dan () doxpara com> wrote:
So there were actually a couple of *really* cool papers at SIGGRAPH this
year:  Normally, computers graphics is all about, given a material,
determine the way light interacts with it.  Lately, the field has been
moving the other direction -- given an understanding of the way light
interacts with a material, synthesize something with those properties:

Physical Reproduction of Materials with Specified Subsurface Scattering
http://www.cs.princeton.edu/gfx/pubs/Hasan_2010_PRO/index.php

Fabricating Spatially-Varying Subsurface Scattering
http://www.dongallen.com/project/fabscat/fabscat.htm  (heh.)

The general problem with biometrics is that they leak.  We've already seen
spoofing hit fingerprint scanners -- with gummi bears, no less.  It's pretty
clear that 3D printers are effectively becoming material replication
engines.  Ginning up a sufficienct ocular biometric is going to be an
affordable proposition in an uncomfortably small period of time.

We have much lower standards for biometrics than crypto ciphers.  People
_really_ want to be able to self-authenticate.

That being said, security might be quantized, but it's not absolute.  Once
you start throwing in things like threats to family, not even duress phrases
are a catch all ("anything happens to us, your family is dead in a year").
And there has never, in the history of man, been a security technology that
has achieved complete success against repudiation.  Just not how the world
works.

Last note -- my understanding is that iris entropy is pretty high -- not as
high as blood vessels on the retina, but higher than fingerprints, and way
higher than hand geometry.  It also leaks "less", in that fingerprints are
just deposited everywhere.

http://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/techreports/UCAM-CL-TR-640.html

another high entropy possibility is patterns of blood vessels in palms
- fujitsu has tech based on this

mike