funsec mailing list archives

Re: Apple's worst security breach: 114, 000 iPad owners exposed

From: Joel Esler <joel.esler () me com>
Date: Fri, 11 Jun 2010 09:17:55 -0400

Summary of that long winded email:

I'm smarter than you.
You're wrong.
Apple is guilty too.

On Jun 10, 2010, at 8:55 PM, Nick FitzGerald wrote:

Joel Esler wrote:

My only problem with the article is the inaccuracy of the headline.
Gawker is known for their sensationalism.  Frustratingly awesome.

My only problem with your commentary on this is the inaccuracy of your
use of the word "inaccuracy".

Although technically "inaccurate" means only "not accurate", due to the
tendency of (simpler) humans to conceive "accuracy" as a binary state
(akin to true/false), common use of "inaccurate" tends to have a strong
connotation of "false", and even "wrong" (with all its connotations).
(Should we be surprised that Wikitionary suffers this misperception,
unlike the professionally maintained dictionaries I checked?)

You would have been more accurate (now, how can that be a meaningful
utterance for something that ostensibly has binary state?) to have
said:

  My only problem with the article is the less than fully accurate
  headline.  Gawker is known for their sensationalism.  ...

Of course, that is not quite as sensationalistic as strongly connoting
that Gawker was wrong...

True, their headline was not fully accurate.

But do you really not think that Apple must at least partly carry the
can for this?

After all, it was Apple that decided to make 3G iPads available in the
US (and Canada I presume) via an exclusive deal with AT&T.  If the
devices were available across any 3G network, Apple's customers would
have had to choose their carrier, and thus only those who chose AT&T (a
presumably small number from what I've heard of that network's
coverage, reliability and service) would have been exposed by this lack
of security smarts at AT&T (well, we have to speculate and as you seem
to be into sensationalism, let me assume that none of the other 3G
networks are run by such security dullards as those at AT&T).

Of course, the real reason behind Apple's choice of AT&T had nothing to
do with "providing the most consistent user experience" and all that
touchy-feely mush the fanboiz lap up, but had everything to do with
making the device "more exclusive" and keeping the price rather on the
high side (i.e. it was about making profits for Apple, and presumably
the fixed-term service contracts had something to do with making
profits for AT&T).

So, I have no sympathy for Apple being socked with the full blame for
something like this.  If Apple really cared about its reputedly ever so
valuable customers, Apple would have made sure that it was not teaming
with a security-challenged carrier and thus inflicting that carrier's
low standards on Apple's "valuable customers".  (And arguably it would
have made the device network agnostic to provide its ever so valuable
customers the best range of choice to get the device and carrier deal
that suited them...)

Apple is at least as guilty in this as AT&T, because from a great deal
of pre-existing commentary on the quality of AT&T's service in general,
and from its direct past experince with the iPhone fiasco, it seems
that Apple should have been more than aware of the potential for brand
spoilage by partnering with AT&T.

So, to label this anything other than a failure by Apple, and worse to
only focus on AT&T's role in this (I'm not saying that Joel did this --
just that some are), is actually aiding and abetting Apple, maintaining
the Jobs/fanboi circle-jerk that "everything Apple is perfect".

Regards,

Nick FitzGerald

--
Joel Esler