funsec mailing list archives

Re: FW: Facebook may get 'panic button'

From: Dave Paris <dparis () w3works com>
Date: Fri, 19 Mar 2010 10:31:35 +0000

Eff this button idea.  Facebook didn't force these two people to meet.
If the kid's internal creep-o-meter didn't go off and make her turn
around, running, in REAL life, there's no way in hell she would have
clicked a stupid eff'ing "panic button" on a website.  Early warning
only works on detectable threats.

Having been on the receiving end of a serial do-gooder, I can guarantee
that absolutely *no* good will come from this button concept.  In fact,
I can pretty much guarantee that this will ruin lives & families of
people who were minding their own business, living quietly within the
law, and an overall a benefit to society.