funsec mailing list archives

Re: Bank security

From: Joel Esler <joel.esler () me com>
Date: Mon, 08 Mar 2010 23:08:37 -0500

On Mar 8, 2010, at 6:00 PM, Rich Kulawiec wrote:
Recent similar experience: was given a pair of running shorts as a gift.
They didn't fit.  Took them back to $BIGOUTDOORSTORE along with a
printout of the receipt from their online store.  Did not ask for
cash refund.  Did not ask for refund on the card that was used for
the purchase.  Asked for a store credit so that I could just buy
something else, maybe shorts, maybe a shirt.

They demanded a driver's license.  I asked why.  They said "because
the online store isn't really us".  I said that the online store operates
on their web site with their name and bills credit cards with their name
and ships with their name on the box so this is hardly my problem is it?
Then they said "for your protection".  I said that I don't need the kind
of protection that invades my privacy.  Then they said "for our protection"
and I pointed (a) that if my goal here was to defraud them of $32 that I
was doing a damn poor job of it *since I was handing them the original
merchandise with their tags still on it* and (b) that if I was going to
trouble myself to defraud them, that I wouldn't bother for anything less
than seven or eight figures.

Okay, so then what they do!?  You've got me on the edge of my seat here.

--
Joel Esler
http://blog.joelesler.net