funsec mailing list archives

Re: Adobe investigates sophisticatic corporate networksecurity issue

From: "Larry Seltzer" <larry () larryseltzer com>
Date: Tue, 19 Jan 2010 23:42:21 -0500

how tightly sandboxed can Ziff Davis make the systems their writers
receive files and e-mail on before it puts a crimp in the business
process? How many hoops would you personally be willing to jump through
to deal with a heavily sandboxed PDF from an outside source for a juicy
story?

I'm a freelancer and work from home, so it's all my problem.

You might have noticed that the eWEEK (a Ziff-Davis Enterprise pub,
different company than Ziff-Davis Media which publishes PCMag) web site
was caught serving malicious PDFs about a year ago through a malicious
fake ad. I was the one who found it debugged the problem (I don't write
for them anymore). There's plenty of holes in the system.

Larry Seltzer
Contributing Editor, PC Magazine
larry_seltzer () ziffdavis com
http://blogs.pcmag.com/securitywatch/