funsec mailing list archives

Re: Facebook Image Privacy

From: Dan Kaminsky <dan () doxpara com>
Date: Sun, 17 Jan 2010 20:08:44 +0100

On Sun, Jan 17, 2010 at 7:45 PM, Imri Goldberg <lorgandon () gmail com> wrote:

On Sun, Jan 17, 2010 at 5:02 PM, Larry Seltzer <larry () larryseltzer com>wrote:

 The URL may not be obvious, but it’s on a publically-accessible site so
it’s at least a little cheesy to call it private.

What do you think?

If it's publicly available, it ain't private.

And a computer that isn't at the bottom of the Mariana Trench ain't secure.

Unguessable tokens have a long history of use in our field (CSRF tokens,
etc) and having one lock access to an image is relatively legitimate.  If
there was a way to guess the token, we'd say there was an issue.