funsec mailing list archives

Re: Facebook Image Privacy

From: Vincent Hoffman <vince () unsane co uk>
Date: Sun, 17 Jan 2010 17:11:58 +0000

Larry Seltzer wrote:

I recently blogged about something interesting in Facebook privacy
(http://blogs.pcmag.com/securitywatch/2010/01/is_facebook_privacy_a_sham.php
- hat tip to F-Secure): If you upload an image and set the permissions
to “Only Me” it gives you a publically-accessible URL through which
anyone can access the image.

A Facebook employee entered a comment that said that only the user who
posted the image gets that URL from them, so therefore it’s private.
The URL
(http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=4722564&l=c56ff5065a&id=675398046
<http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=4722564&l=c56ff5065a&id=675398046>
for example) isn’t especially obvious, although the last
“&id=675398046” is my user id, which is public in Facebook.

The URL may not be obvious, but it’s on a publically-accessible site
so it’s at least a little cheesy to call it private.

What do you think?

Nothing terribly new.
http://www.lightbluetouchpaper.org/2009/02/11/new-facebook-photo-hacks/
Looks like they have changed the url scheme for the the CDN now so it
might be harder to see any other photos in the album, but the CDN is
still serving the photo even though the facebook.com link doesnt work
any more so i guess the retention issue still exists.

Vince

Larry Seltzer
Contributing Editor, PC Magazine

larry_seltzer () ziffdavis com