funsec mailing list archives

Re: Network loads

From: Nick FitzGerald <nick () virus-l demon co uk>
Date: Mon, 04 Jan 2010 16:00:45 +1300

Robert Graham wrote:

We have a twitter monitor. Here are links for New Years vs. a typical day. It looks like about 25% more tweets.

27th of December:
http://twiguard.com/hourly/wm-hourly-08-27-12-2009.png

New Years:
http://twiguard.com/hourly/wm-hourly-08-01-01-2010.png

Ummmmm -- what is the TZ for the time scale?

And wouldn't New Year's Eve seem a more likely peak load time?  People
posting where they are going to be, getting their "best wishes" in
early, etc?

Certainly your own data suggests as much:

   http://twiguard.com/hourly/wm-hourly-08-31-12-2009.png

though there is not that much of an increment over New Year's Day
itself, there dose seem to be more traffic, and _more sustained AND
consistent traffic_ on NYE...

(I'm assuming that the weirdness with 1000 and 1100 on NYE is just a
data collection/aggregation problem and that the apparent massive drop
and spike there really splits roughly 50/50 across those two hours, as
it is about exactly 200% the apparent, fairly consistent, average tweet
rate for the next 12-14 hours...)

Regards,

Nick FitzGerald