funsec mailing list archives

Re: First class and free drinks

From: Peter Kosinar <goober () nuf ksp sk>
Date: Fri, 1 Jan 2010 10:21:59 +0100 (CET)

 I wish that, just once, some terrorist would try something
 that you can only foil by upgrading the passengers to first
 class and giving them free drinks.

(which is probably going for most reblogged/retweeted security phrase right about
now):

Why not?  This makes a lot of sense.  Islamic terrorists wouldn't drink,
right?  So turning down free drinks identifies them.  Of course, you'd
get a lot of false positives out of the teetotalers, like me.  So, you
put them all up front in first class, where there are more staff per
passenger, in order to keep an eye on them. If you keep checking to see
if there is anything they need, then they have no time to do whatever
they need to do in order to set off the Destructive Depends.

A more sophisticated approach to finding terrorists has been proposed
quite some time ago:
http://mindofmog.net/archives/2003/02/21/patriotic-duty/

Maybe those two ideas could be combined for even greater effect?

Peter