funsec mailing list archives

Re: Actual Climate Change Thread

From: Martin Tomasek <tomasek () ufe cz>
Date: Tue, 01 Dec 2009 12:47:14 +0100

Valdis.Kletnieks () vt edu wrote:
On Sat, 28 Nov 2009 10:49:32 +0100, Martin Tomasek said:

So you can measure global area represented by different climates, but averaging temperature over the areas (or globally) is quackery. Average global temperature has no meaning.

So during the last ice age, what did the global average temperature do?

This is difficult question. We know of ice ages by proxies, such as traces of big moving blocks on rock surfaces, ice cores etc. These proxies are mostly placed in arctic area or high in the mountains (so you have no reliable data from Africa). BTW, this is one sources of difficulties in dating of egyptian Sphinx, which appears to be about 8000 years older than the age shown by radionuclid dating and noone knows what to do with that. <http://www.nap.edu/catalog.php?record_id=11676>

We know that weather is chaotic system, which we are unable to predict for a long time and which has unevenly (and one should say chaotically) distributed temperature over space. So, average temperature depends on methodology of measurement. It depends on which places you choose to include in global average and on weights of the places (you are calculating weighted average).

I believe that in most cases of ice age global temperature calculation you will get temperature lower than today.

I tried to find more information on proxies in and near Africa, I'll read this book, seems promising: http://www.nap.edu/catalog.php?record_id=11676 but also a little disappointing - they use graphs produced by Michael Mann, infamous by his invention of 'hockey stick chart'. And they also use tree ring data (which is not reliable temperature proxy).

Speaking of Michael Mann, here is funny video reacting to leaked emails: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nEiLgbBGKVk (They discarded temperature data, obtained by tree ring proxies, from IPCC report. It showed temperature decline).

--
Martin Tomasek