funsec mailing list archives

Re: Was the ClimateGate Hacker Justified? Join the Debate!

From: Florian Weimer <fw () deneb enyo de>
Date: Thu, 26 Nov 2009 19:19:54 +0100

* Gadi Evron:

Rich Kulawiec wrote:
I look down with contempt on the inferior creatures who are dumb enough
to fall for this denialist nonsense.  They belong with the creationists,

Dude, some of it is obviously out of context, and some of it can be
explained away as terminology. But some emails CLEARLY state to delete
data for the sole purpose of hiding it from the denialist "idiots",
rather than any other reason. The emails have been verified as true.

They must be a very happy bunch indeed if they care more about the
denialists than about their funding.

Perhaps scientists tend to have quite different ethical standards,
maimed by the unique kinds of compromises which life forces upon them.
I once witnessed a few people submitting a CS conference paper which
was cute, cleverly dressed BS, and when I pointed this out, they told
me that the program committee would never notice it, and all would be
fine.  They were right, they didn't notice, and the paper was
accepted.  (This was for a real conference, not some multi-sciency
fraud.)