funsec mailing list archives

Re: Oops. Sorry, wrong boat. Could we have a do-over?

From: Drsolly <drsollyp () drsolly com>
Date: Fri, 9 Oct 2009 13:54:39 +0100 (BST)

It's what I keep telling them. If it weren't for the French in 1776 and
thenabouts, they'd all be speaking English.

On Fri, 9 Oct 2009, Rich Kulawiec wrote:

On Thu, Oct 08, 2009 at 05:28:32AM +0000, chaim.rieger () gmail com wrote:
For the first time in history the French Navy won a battle

First, it's not necessary to send such traffic to the list *and* to me
*and* to the -bounces address for the list.  I suspect that the mail
client you're using is badly broken.

Second, while I realize that many people (if I might dignify ignorant
simpletons with that term) enjoy bashing the French military, including,
surprisingly, many Americans, they would do well to study and understand
the role of the French Navy in the American War for Independence.  It is
quite unlikely that the rebels would have succeeded (given their own
paltry naval resources) against the world's leading sea power were it
not for the willingness of the French to engage British ships on a global
basis.  An excellent starting point for self-education on this matter is:

      The French Navy and the Independence of the United States
      http://xenophongroup.com/mcjoynt/bonnel.htm

And a much more thorough treatment may be found here:

      The French Navy and American Independence: A Study of Arms and Diplomacy, 1774-1787
      Jonathan R. Dull, Princeton University Press, 1975

---Rsk