funsec mailing list archives

threats abound for 2010 what shall we do, oh my!

From: RandallM <randallm () fidmail com>
Date: Wed, 30 Dec 2009 14:24:47 -0600

Lets have some fun-sec FUN:

McAfee put out top predictions for 2010. Based on these are any you can add,
what mitigation efforts or proactive measures can
individuals and company's do?

• Social networking sites such as Facebook will face more sophisticated
threats as the number of
users grows.
• The explosion of applications on Facebook and other services will be an
ideal vector for cybercriminals,
who will take advantage of friends trusting friends to click links they
might otherwise treat cautiously.
• HTML 5 will blur the line between desktop and online applications. This,
along with the release of
Google Chrome OS, will create another opportunity for malware writers to
prey on users.
• Email attachments have delivered malware for years, yet the increasing
number of attacks targeted
at corporations, journalists, and individual users often fool them into
downloading Trojans and
other malware.
• Cybercriminals have long picked on Microsoft products due to their
popularity. In 2010, we anticipate
Adobe software, especially Acrobat Reader and Flash, will take the top spot.
• Banking Trojans will become more clever, sometimes interrupting a
legitimate transaction to make an
unauthorized withdrawal.
• Botnets are the leading infrastructure for cybercriminals, used for
actions from spamming to identity
theft. Recent successes in shutting down botnets will force their
controllers to switch to alternate, less
vulnerable methods of command, including peer-to-peer setups.
• In spite of the worldwide scope of botnets, we anticipate even more
successes in the fight against all
forms of cybercrime in 2010.

--
been great, thanks