funsec mailing list archives

Re: Image forensics

From: Martin Tomasek <tomasek () ufe cz>
Date: Mon, 28 Dec 2009 11:20:10 +0100

Imri Goldberg napsal(a):
Since seam-carving was all the rage back then, we tried to think what
would be a good algorithm to detect seam carving when used to remove
parts of an image. The idea we had was that since seam carving removes
parts of the image with low gradients, you could look for parts of the
image that don't have low gradients, even though "they should".

I think seam-carving produce unnaturally looking images. I think
algorithms that catches distortion or repetition would catch it.

We never put this one to the test, but more ideas to automate photo
forgery detection are always interesting.

I like wavelet-based algorithms the most.

"Below we describe three such applications:
(1) detecting hidden messages (steganography);
(2) differentiating between computer graphic
and natural images; and (3) detecting re-broadcast attacks
against biometric identification systems."

http://citeseerx.ist.psu.edu/viewdoc/download?doi=10.1.1.66.3047&rep=rep1&type=pdf