funsec mailing list archives

Make sure your business continuity plan doesn't cause a disaster

From: "Rob, grandpa of Ryan, Trevor, Devon & Hannah" <rMslade () shaw ca>
Date: Wed, 2 Sep 2009 10:11:55 -0800

About 150 people were evacuated from the Chittenden Bank Operation Center on
Putney Road in Brattleboro on August 27, after a smoky fire set off alarms in the
building. A rack of backup batteries overheated and melted, filling the steel
maintenance room behind the offices with smoke, the Brattleboro fire chief said
at the scene. The chief said the fire was relatively easy to contain, but cutting off
power to the building was challenging because of the large amount of machinery
and technology in the building. He also said the backup generators had to be
disconnected to make sure they did not kick in when the power was cut.  The
Putney Road security manager said the batteries that burned were fairly new and
had been updated within the past 10 years and inspected.

http://www.reformer.com/localnews/ci_13219937

======================  (quote inserted randomly by Pegasus Mailer)
rslade () vcn bc ca     slade () victoria tc ca     rslade () computercrime org
We're born, we live a little while, we die ... By helping you,
perhaps I was trying to lift up my life a trifle.  Heavens knows
anyone's life can stand a little of that.
                                     - E.B. White in Charlotte's Web
http://victoria.tc.ca/techrev/rms.htm
http://blog.isc2.org/isc2_blog/slade/index.html http://twitter.com/rslade
http://blogs.securiteam.com/index.php/archives/author/p1/