funsec mailing list archives

Re: Thoughts on Bing

From: Rob Thompson <my.security.lists () gmail com>
Date: Fri, 14 Aug 2009 11:19:25 -0700

chris () blask org wrote:
From: Rob, grandpa of Ryan, Trevor, Devon & Hannah <rMslade () shaw ca>
Date: Tuesday, August 11, 2009, 3:48 PM

(Aside from the prettier background?)

I would say that the background of Bing is Fail #1.  Google has aced this topic in a way that cannot be surmounted:
you can't unclutter blank.  The calming whiteness of Google is the "Don't Panic!" sticker for the Internet,
marginally lowering the blood pressure of millions of frustrated noobs and frazzled old timers.  By adding color and
pictures of near-sighted yaks, Bing hasn't done anything to make things simpler.

As for how well it works, I don't know.  I'm generally a demonstration of Newton's conclusion about bodies at rest,
and Google isn't not working for me yet.

You aren't missing anything.

They just couldn't leave well enough alone and had to get their hands in
the cookie jar too, with a flashy product that at best gives mediocre
results.  It's like the Vista of search engines...

I gave it a whirl and IMO it's no better than Hotbox or Ask.com.  I'm
sticking with Google.

-chris

--
Rob