funsec mailing list archives

Thoughts on Bing

From: rackow () mcs anl gov
Date: Tue, 11 Aug 2009 08:28:32 -0500

My daughter bruings up a  couple of questions after getting malware
hits while doing searches on Bing.

Since Bing is backed by MS, it's a "default" that people will or
are probably getting with new MS installs or upgrades.  Meaning
you have a highly targette audience.  Is that community targetting
Bing any heavier than others?

Since Bing's advertising is all about giving you the answers you
want, not some random stuff that may be close, is it a more
valuable/trustworthy result?

If people get a fakeAV popup from Bing, are they more likely
to trust it than if they got it from Facebook, MySpace, or Google?

--Gene

PS: My impression of Bing has been that MS has done it again.
Bing is the sound that the cartoon Ricochet Rabbit made just before
speeding off and crashing into a cactus, wall or pile of junk.
It's also the sound that a small rusty bolt makes just before it
busts you knuckles while trying to extract it and twists off
instead of coming out of the hole.

/~\ The ASCII         Gene Rackow               email: rackow () anl gov
\ / Ribbon Campaign   Cyber Security Office     voice: 630-252-7126
 X  Against HTML      Argonne National Lab
/ \ Email!            9700 S. Cass Ave. / Argonne, IL  60439