funsec mailing list archives

Re: Facebook Blog: Debunking rumors about advertising and photos

From: chris () blask org
Date: Sat, 1 Aug 2009 09:07:51 -0700 (PDT)

--- On Sat, 8/1/09, Juha-Matti Laurio <juha-matti.laurio () netti fi> wrote:

"In the past couple of days, a rumor has begun spreading that claims we have changed our policies for third-party
advertisers and the use of your photos.

In a world where rumors spread like wildfire, the best information hygiene is to say something loudly, clearly,
personally, publicly and often.

"This is what I am saying.  This is what I said.  I said it."

And then say exactly the same thing again at every opportunity.

I was thinking about this the other night as Jon Stewart picked on Pres. Obama for answering a call-in question (about
his healthcare plan requiring old folks to STFU and die quietly) with a joke.  "I don't think this is the time for dry
wit, Mr. President."  I agree, he needs to say "Gramma isn't going to die" several times a day or just surrender.

Since I've launched onto that topic I may as well make that point myself.  I lived in Canada three times and I can pick
on socialized medicine at an expert level, but Gramma isn't required to die.  In fact, last time I lived there my
neighbor was in his 90s, turned down knee replacements at 93, regretted it at 96 and passed away at 99 having received
every conceivable kind of medical aid.

There are other things to pick on socialized medicine for, but the things the US Right (and insurance industry) are
picking on just aren't accurate.  It's getting more and more embarrassing to describe myself as Center-Right with all
these wingnuts yelling "Libruls Wnat to Kill Yer Gramma" and "The Prezidunt Is Ah Kenyan Muslin Jew" and watching GOP
Senators agree (cor luv a duck!).

-chris