funsec mailing list archives

Re: Rage against spammers and telemarketers

From: David M Chess <chess () us ibm com>
Date: Thu, 23 Jul 2009 10:06:46 -0400

According to court documents, Charles W. Papenfus, 43, allegedly
told a sales representative during a May 18 telephone call that he
would burn down the building and kill the employees and their
families. He was indicted for making a terrorist threat, a Class D
felony; and he could be sentenced to up to four years in prison if
convicted.

Maybe I'm overlooking something key, but I'm finding the reactions on the
thread here sort of puzzling.  I mean, if threatening to burn down a
building and kill the occupants and their families isn't a terrorist
threat, I don't know what is.

Presumably he didn't say it in order to make the person at the other end
of the line feel *more* secure in life and property, and to calm their
fears...

Now maybe he didn't mean it, maybe he was just upset and speaking without
any actual intent, and if so great he can use that in his defense at
trial, and maybe he'll be acquitted as a result.

But really, if I yell into a phone that I'm going to burn down a building
and kill a company's employees and their families, I would hope I *would*
get to spend a little time in a quiet place, thinking about whether that
was really a wise thing to say...

Not the kind of thing this left-libertarian usually finds himself writing
to mailing lists,
DC