funsec mailing list archives

Re: Experts: GPS system 'close to breakdown'

From: Valdis.Kletnieks () vt edu
Date: Thu, 28 May 2009 14:26:36 -0400

On Thu, 28 May 2009 08:26:08 PDT, Benjamin April said:
"US government officials are concerned that the quality of the Global Positioning System (GPS) could begin to
deteriorate as early as next year,
resulting in regular blackouts and failures – or even dishing out inaccurate directions to millions of people
worldwide.

I call FUD. A sensible GPS should cease to give directions if the
current EPE (Estimated Position Error) exceeds a reasonable value.
Based on the position of the satellites detected and their relation
to the receiver it can calculate an approximate accuracy.

Lack of satellites could cause outages, it won't direct you to
Seattle when you are headed for Boston.

Your GPS thinks you're heading north into Blacksburg from I-81 on the 460
Bypass highway.  You need to take an off ramp on the right hand side, then bear
right to get onto Transportation Research Drive, then a left onto Industrial
Park Road to eventually get to my office.

Unfortunately, if you were actually heading north on *Business* 460 a few
hundred yards west, taking the right-handed off ramp at the same relative
location, then bearing right, will land you on a ramp pointing you *back* south
to I-81, and you won't have a chance to turn around for about 2 miles.

http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&ll=37.191194,-80.402327&spn=0.013829,0.022767&z=16