funsec mailing list archives

Re: Swine flu: Twitter's power to misinform

From: Dragos Ruiu <dr () kyx net>
Date: Sun, 26 Apr 2009 23:42:14 -0700

http://xkcd.com/574/

I love the irony of being informed about the comic from Twitter.

cheers,
--dr

On 26-Apr-09, at 10:58 PM, Imri Goldberg wrote:

On Mon, Apr 27, 2009 at 1:21 AM, Paul Ferguson <fergdawgster () gmail com> wrote:
And despite all the recent Twitter-enthusiasm about this
platform's unique power to alert millions of people in decentralized and previously unavailable ways, there are quite a few reasons to be concerned
about Twitter's role in facilitating an unnecessary global panic about
swine flu.

First of all, I should point out from the very outset that anyone trying to
make sense of how Twitter's “global brain” has reacted to the prospect
of the swine flu pandemic is likely to get disappointed. The “swine
flu” meme has so far that misinformed and panicking people armed with a platform to broadcast their fears are likely to produce only more fear,
misinformation and panic.

I actually felt something similar yesterday. Yesterday's evening, at least 7 ambulances and a police car passed on the road with sirens on. There were probably more, but I didn't start counting right off. Since the last time I saw five ambulances in a row, was right after a suicide bombing a few years ago, I immediately thought that there has been another terror attack. I checked the news websites, and saw no