funsec mailing list archives

Re: So ze Q-bomb wuz a dud? :)

From: "Paul M. Moriarty" <pmm () igtc com>
Date: Wed, 1 Apr 2009 10:50:09 -0700

On Apr 1, 2009, at 9:46 AM, Valdis.Kletnieks () vt edu wrote:

On Wed, 01 Apr 2009 05:27:59 EDT, Kevin McAleavey said:
I haven't seen much of anything and I'm in my 13th hour of sitting
here,
waiting for what Marvin the Martian once said, "Where's the Kaboom?
There was
supposed to be an earth shattering kaboom!"

As I said - oh-dark-thirty sometime in the future.  A metric
shitload of the
20M compromised systems will probably get patched due to the
hysteria. Say 75%.

On the enterprise side, that may be true.  I expect the number that
got patched as a result of the publicity to be a much smaller
percentage on the consumer side, say 20%.    And, I'm further willing
to bet that consumer machines make up at least 75% of the estimated
20M machines.  So there will still be > 13M compromised boxes post-hype.

- Paul -