funsec mailing list archives

Re: Window of opportunity

From: Drsolly <drsollyp () drsolly com>
Date: Tue, 21 Apr 2009 00:04:18 +0100 (BST)

/me tries to remember who has the most secure operating system in the
world.

On Mon, 20 Apr 2009, Rob, grandpa of Ryan, Trevor, Devon & Hannah wrote:

The Black Hat security conference had a last-minute cancellation of a
presentation by a group of researchers scheduled to reveal a dangerous software
vulnerability. Organizers promoted a talk that would be on the scale of the flaw in
the DNS (Domain Name System) highlighted by a security researcher at Black
Hat’s U.S. conference in July 2008.

The flaw is so sensitive that even revealing the vendor affected could potentially
cause hackers to start poking around with applications or operating systems to try
to figure it out, said Black Hat’s CEO. The unnamed vendor has told the
researchers that it could have a patch ready in a month or so, but it could take as
long as four months.

http://www.pcworld.com/businesscenter/article/163253/black_hat_supertalk_halted
_due_to_vendor_concerns.html

OK, we have a really, really, serious bug, and it's going to take up to four months
to get a patch out.  Any bets on the vendor?  :-)

======================  (quote inserted randomly by Pegasus Mailer)
rslade () vcn bc ca     slade () victoria tc ca     rslade () computercrime org
It is better, of course, to know useless things than to know
nothing.                                                    - Seneca
http://victoria.tc.ca/techrev/rms.htm
http://blog.isc2.org/isc2_blog/slade/index.html http://twitter.com/rslade
http://blogs.securiteam.com/index.php/archives/author/p1/