funsec mailing list archives

Re: thoughts

From: Valdis.Kletnieks () vt edu
Date: Tue, 31 Mar 2009 17:34:37 -0400

On Tue, 31 Mar 2009 10:45:05 PDT, Alex Lanstein said:

No one knows, hence the mystery.  My personal thoughts are that nothing
will happen on the 1st - I think they're a victim of their own success.

We've seen incredibly noisy worms before - like the ones that were set to
DDoS the White House and SCO.  My personal theory is that the perpetrators
of those launched them and went to the beach or someplace similar for 2 weeks.

Then they came back and any remaining infected machines that had been
spotted by neither the user nor the ISP during their 'spread the infection'
or 'ddos a target' phases were obviously Safe To Use, because both owners
and ISPs were asleep at the wheel.

Squat will happen April 1.  The fun starts late at night on April 3.