funsec mailing list archives

Re: the end is nigh, smm exploit, rootkits, etc. all that fun

From: "Rob, grandpa of Ryan, Trevor, Devon & Hannah" <rmslade () shaw ca>
Date: Thu, 19 Mar 2009 21:26:50 -0800

http://www.networkworld.com/community/node/39825?netht=rn_031809&nladnam
e=031809

Many years ago, I got a contract from a Certain Company What Made Chips And
Stuff to test a "proof of concept" antiviral system they had built on top of the
new system management chip they were promoting at the time.  I was able to
subvert it fairly easily using techniques that viruses were using at the time.  (They
welched on the contract, so you can actually read my review  :-)

At CanSecWest, we've just had a presentation from a couple of guys who did the
same type of thing.  Apparently they have had a reasonably pro-active response
from Intel, so the World May Yet Be Saved.

======================  (quote inserted randomly by Pegasus Mailer)
rslade () vcn bc ca     slade () victoria tc ca     rslade () computercrime org
The difficulty lies, not in the new ideas, but in escaping the
old ones that ramify, for those brought up as most of us have
been, into every corner of our minds.          - John Maynard Keynes
http://victoria.tc.ca/techrev/rms.htm
http://blog.isc2.org/isc2_blog/slade/index.html
http://blogs.securiteam.com/index.php/archives/author/p1/