funsec mailing list archives

Re: the end is nigh, smm exploit, rootkits, etc. all that fun

From: Gadi Evron <ge () linuxbox org>
Date: Wed, 18 Mar 2009 17:59:21 -0500 (CDT)

On Wed, 18 Mar 2009, Alex Eckelberry wrote:
http://www.networkworld.com/community/node/39825?netht=rn_031809&nladnam
e=031809

This is the scariest, stealthiest, and most dangerous rootkit I've seen
come around since the legendary Blue Pill
<http://www.networkworld.com/community/node/18197> ! No, I'm not just
trying to sensationalize this or spread fear, uncertainty and doubt.
This is serious and represents a massive new security threat for us all.

Security Researchers Joanna Rutkowska
<http://www.blogger.com/profile/07657268181166351141>  and Loic Duflot
are planning to release a research paper + exploit code for a new SMM
(System Management Mode) rootkit that installs via an Intel(r) CPU
caching vulnerability. Joanna, of blue pill fame,
<http://www.networkworld.com/community/node/18197>  reported this on her
blog

At least I won't have to listen to a blue pill lecture ever again.