funsec mailing list archives

Re: Tweet This: I Don't Care

From: Gary Warner <gar () askgar com>
Date: Thu, 19 Mar 2009 15:30:05 -0500

On Sun, Mar 15, 2009 at 01:06:35AM -0700, Paul Ferguson wrote:
I already have a blog, which allows me to publish content in more than 140
characters.

What is the allure? Please, tell me.

I like the Twitter to Blog feature, where I don't have to go look at
fifty blogs where there is occasionally something of interest.  Someone
instead sends me one line on my phone about what their blog is about,
and based on their one line I decide whether visiting the blog would be
a waste of time today or not.

My blog is only occasionally interesting, and I like being able to
"tweet" to my friends when I've written something I think they might
find interesting.

It also makes it convenient to read blogs on my phone during idle time.
 Far easier to click a twitter link than to log in to a full web browser
and wander around waiting for each blog to load.

The bigger allure for me though goes back to community building.  How do
you "feel" like a community?  You learn about the smaller details of one
another's lives.  Learning who goes mountain biking and who reads the
same comic books and who the coffee snobs and pub crawlers in our
community are enriches the idea that we might actually know each other
in ways that "on topic" mailing lists don't accomplish.  "off topic"
lists, such as funsec already accomplish this, I suppose, but Twitter
invites posts where you just say "my daughter's friend put purple food
coloring in the macaroni and cheese!", where as most of would hesitate
to post such things even to funsec.  It would get ridiculous if that's
all they post, but it adds to the sense of the community and invites
those follow up direct twitters "Hey - I've got a daughter too - how old
is yours?" etc.  Its the kind of conversations we might have at the bar
on night (oops, afternoon) at GadiCon, but that we don't have to travel
1600 miles to have.  Don't you come back from conferences and realize
the true value was getting to build personal ties with the people you
saw there?  The same is happening on twitter every day.

(Strict Security people will not want to follow me.  People who want to
build community within the Security community might enjoy the mix of
personal and security twittering.)

- --

Gary Warner
Director of Research in Computer Forensics
The University of Alabama at Birmingham
gar () cis uab edu            gar () askgar com
205.934.8620               205.422.2113
Blog = http://garwarner.blogspot.com/
Home = http://www.cis.uab.edu/forensics/