funsec mailing list archives

Re: German intelligence tapped foreign desktops

From: Florian Weimer <fw () deneb enyo de>
Date: Wed, 11 Mar 2009 12:57:42 +0100

* Gadi Evron:

I am not too impressed by the civil rights violation
accusations. German law (IANA_G_L) includes German citizens. It is
not a secret the BND is an intelligence agency nor that they spy on
foreigners. I don't see what the big deal is about.

Some folks at DER SPIEGEL are pissed because the BND recovered private
conversations between one of their staff reporters and some Afghan
official.  Everybody in the German media reads SPIEGEL ONLINE as the
first thing in the morning, so their reporting tends to set the
general mood.

(DER SPIEGEL has previously suggested the converstations were neither
business-related nor journalistic.  TMI, I guess.)

The INTERESTING questions here is about the real stink: how was the
BND's activity compromised to the press,

Ah, that's easy to answer.  It was reported to parliamentary oversight
committee, so it's essentially a press briefing by proxy.

and is it really just 2500 computers after "several years" of
activity?

If you want to track specific targets, I guess it's quite a bit of
work not to lose contact.