funsec mailing list archives

Re: German intelligence tapped foreign desktops

From: Gadi Evron <ge () linuxbox org>
Date: Tue, 10 Mar 2009 14:52:20 -0500 (CDT)

On Tue, 10 Mar 2009, Juha-Matti Laurio wrote:
"The German foreign intelligence service, the Bundesnachrichtendienst (BND), has eavesdropped on 2,500 PCs in the
last couple of years.

News magazine Der Spiegel broke the news on its website this weekend.
According to the magazine, information saved on HDDs was copied and transferred to Pullach, where the BND is
headquartered.
In various other cases, keyloggers were installed to capture passwords for email accounts."
--clip--

It's a big "stink" in Germany now according to a friend. They have been
trying to pass laws that will allow the Police to use Trojan horses.

I am not too impressed by the civil rights violation accusations. German
law (IANA_G_L) includes German citizens. It is not a secret the BND is an
intelligence agency nor that they spy on foreigners. I don't see what the
big deal is about.

The INTERESTING questions here is about the real stink: how was the BND's
activity compromised to the press, and is it really just 2500 computers
after "several years" of activity?

More at
http://www.itexaminer.com/german-intelligence-tapped-foreign-desktops.aspx

(if you read German the source link here)
http://www.spiegel.de/netzwelt/web/0,1518,611954,00.html

Juha-Matti