funsec mailing list archives

Re: Cybercrime as destructive as credit crisis

From: Bruce Ediger <eballen1 () qwest net>
Date: Thu, 20 Nov 2008 05:26:22 -0700 (MST)

On Thu, 20 Nov 2008, Juha-Matti Laurio wrote:

Damage caused by cybercrime is estimated at $100 billion annually, said
Kilian Strauss, of the Organization for Security and Cooperation in Europe
(OSCE).

Just the other day, I read that something like 60% of all "cybercrime"
investigations was for child pornography. How on earth can $60 billion
annually be devoted to child pornography?

Which also raises the corollary of "what did all those child pornographers
do before The Internet?"  Seriously, how did the consumers and producers
find each other?  Or were/are there just so many of each ($60 Billion!)
that it really wasn't a big problem for them?

"These criminals, they outsmart us ten, or a hundred to one," Strauss told
Reuters, adding more internet experts were needed to investigate and tackle
cybercrime."

Does this mean that getting a CISSP is the best career move possible?

Or does it mean that I should look into getting acquainted with the local
"made man"?

--NSA--CIA--PISSLOAF--FBI--NRO--TSA--JENKEM--DHS--BUTTHASH--GCHQ--ECHELON--
As for you government types intercepting this, thanks for keeping us safe
from our freedoms. Warrantless wiretapping is un-American and unpatriotic.