funsec mailing list archives

Re: Where does the Republican Party stand on the 1stAmendment?

From: der Mouse <mouse () rodents-montreal org>
Date: Sun, 20 Jul 2008 22:17:45 -0400 (EDT)

[A friend is] blind and is saying nothing <insert stronger expression
for annoys him more> than having to search for inserted comments in
the middle of an email that is part of a thread he's allready familar
with.

This is a good reason to use standard quoting: it makes it possible for
software to strip out quoted material for him.

There is a standard quoting style, and it's to use > for first-level
quotes, >> for second, etc.  (I know of no standard for quoting per se,
but RFC3676 section 4.5 is an example of standardization of > quoting.)

I tend to agree with him that it is indeed more comfortable and
faster even if you're not handicapped.

Sometimes.  If it "is part of a thread [you are] [already] familiar
with".

Quotes are there to help those who *don't* happen to have wetware
buffers big enough to save all live threads in enough detail to deal
with new messages in any of them.  I have a better memory for such
things than many people and even I am glad for quotes - *short*
*relevant* quotes - when reading replies.

However, that bears on *whether* to quote replied-to material, not
*how* to if you're going to.

/~\ The ASCII                           der Mouse
\ / Ribbon Campaign
 X  Against HTML                mouse () rodents-montreal org