funsec mailing list archives

Re: Off Topic: When Did LinkedIn Start Sucking So Bad?

From: "John C. A. Bambenek, CISSP" <bambenek.infosec () gmail com>
Date: Mon, 10 Mar 2008 12:13:49 -0500

To be devil's advocate... exactly what privacy?

In my case, I work for a public university, my employment is public record
and on any number of dozens of websites before I do a thing. My resume is
more or less public, if you have a good job, by all means, come find me.
Other than being able to prove that I exist, there's not much personal
information out there to be had on me via these sites, and certainly not
much that could be used maliciously. On the other hand, I have a bit to gain
from being easier to find both security-wise and for some of the other
activities I engage in... to name one, philanthropy.  I want people to be
able to find me to donate money so I can build a school in Africa.

How is that a bad thing again?

P.S. And this is coming from me who is not known to be a social-butterfly.
In fact, I'm quite sure a cave somewhere is missing its hermit.