funsec mailing list archives

Re: Nice RBN/Storm worm writup in חנוכה-X/X-Mas Blog

From: "Dude VanWinkle" <dudevanwinkle () gmail com>
Date: Sun, 6 Jan 2008 17:03:26 -0600

On Jan 5, 2008 7:47 PM, Nick FitzGerald <nick () virus-l demon co uk> wrote:
Dude VanWinkle wrote:

<<snip>>
Congrats to anyone who helped shrink that beast down (I am looking at
you, mr "I got a new computer for x-mas/×àÕÛÔ-x, so this one's going
in the trash")

Ummmm, much as folk malign them, that reduction was almost entirely due
to MSRC (I _think_ it's their decision) to add detection and removal of
the Storm-related ("Nuwar" in MS terminology) malware to the MSRT a
couple of months back...

Weird, I would think that storm would disable windows update and
especially the malicious software removal tool, right along with the
AV disablers..

thanks for the info either way. I guess MS probably has numbers on how
many instances they removed after providing the update, maybe they
will release them some day :-)

-JP