funsec mailing list archives

Re: [privacy] U.S. Agents Seize Travelers' Devices

From: Julio Canto <jcanto () hispasec com>
Date: Sat, 09 Feb 2008 09:55:35 +0100

This is what happens when you take a McDonald's caliber of employee and
give them a little bit of authority.  They're just getting even because
they chose poorly and realized it too late.

Quite a pity actually...  Personally, there's no way in hell they'da
gotten me to open the box.  That is personal and protected information, IMO.

If they aren't able to hack it on their own - breaking the law while
doing it, then they can't have it.

/me loves FDE...

When I went to LA last year, they broke my suitcase and 'took a look
inside' (without me in front of it, it was the baggage I factured),
leaving then a note saying that they were in the right to do it and
basically that I should speak with their hand if I didn't like it. Is
that not basically a violation of personal and protected information?
Would it be different if they simply 'requise' your laptop and
bruteforces/whatever to get the info?
--
Regards,

Julio Canto | VirusTotal.com | Hispasec Sistemas Lab | Tlf:
+34.902.161.025 | Fax: +34.952.028.694 | PGP Key ID: EF618D2B |
jcanto () hispasec com