funsec mailing list archives

Re: TrendMicro goes...

From: "Daniel H. Renner" <dan () losangelescomputerhelp com>
Date: Thu, 31 Jan 2008 08:48:56 -0800

Paul Ferguson wrote:

- -- "Daniel H. Renner" <dan () losangelescomputerhelp com> wrote:

My apologies for questioning you Ferg, and I do not mean that
facetiously, but wouldn't a device such as a computer running IPCop with
ClamAV on it count as similar to TM's patent?  And hence, prior "art"?

Hey, I'm no expert on these patent matter -- I'm an engineer.

I'm no lawyer, either -- which appears to be where this whole issue
resides.

I'm unfamiliar with IPCop, so I couldn't say.

Again, I'm treading very lightly here because I'm in a delicate
position while corporate attorneys do their thing.

I've just resolved myself to pointing out references and commentary,
and I'll leave the fear-mongering, Trend Micro-bashing, and punditry
to others. :-)

Thanks,

- - ferg

I understand and would concur in your case.

For your data banks:
(If I remember correctly) IPCop was a fork of Smoothwall, a Linux-based
firewall that can be installed on pretty much any computer, with any
number of NICs attached for multiple LANs.  Pretty damn decent actually
IMHO, though for more demanding installs we tend to use Endian which is
a fork of both and has more fine control capabilities and a built-in
SMTP server.

Sincerely,

Daniel H. Renner
President