funsec mailing list archives

Re: Clinton's Office Says Her Passport Files Also Breached

From: "Dennis Henderson" <hendomatic () gmail com>
Date: Sun, 23 Mar 2008 00:17:50 -0500

On Sat, Mar 22, 2008 at 5:05 PM, John C. A. Bambenek, GCIH, CISSP <
bambenek.infosec () gmail com> wrote:

"haven't even bothered to notice your name", or what I've been saying
either, wherein lies the entire absurdity of this thread.

My post meant to convey two things and two things alone:

One, the absurdity of political candidates falling all over themselves
trying to get to a microphone to get on TV.
Two, that this is not a *newsworthy* story.

In the time it took you to type this, dozens more have probably died in
Tibet, dozens have died in Kenya, three militaries are sabre-waving at their
respective borders in South America, no one knows when the Serbia-Kosovo
thing will go south, more unborn children have been butchered for the sake
of convenience, and so forth.  The information in a passport file is really
low on the list of systems that need to be hardened inside the federal
government.  And that doesn't even count how many more significant
intrusions have taken place.

In fact, I'm sure thousands more National ID numbers (or SSNs if you
prefer the euphemism), CC numbers and so on have been stolen of every day
people who don't have nearly the resources to track down and protect
themselves from the fraud they're likely to see soon enough.

Even a step further, this shit has taken place in every political campaign
for high office since the dawn of elections... why are we getting bent out
of shape now?  Is it because we're disciples of the Church of Obama?  Where
you bent out of shape like this when Michael Steele's credit reports were
stolen because I would think a credit report is far more consequential than
what countries you visited?

The point is, I didn't give a technical response to it, mostly because the
only data we have are token statements from State and press releases from
political campaigns in a hotly contested primary.  And even then, those have
been whitewashed through the press.  We don't know what the hell happened
yet, but what we do know is that the people involved got fired, and even if
they don't get prosecuted, they're careers are over.  In the grand scheme of
life, this is not news.

So you misattributed my original post to something I did not intend, made
one character attack about my professionalism and then continue it here but
can't even be honest with yourself by putting in disclaimers like "no
offense", but then make ad hominems anyway.  I'd just rather you left my
flippant remark about **politics** lie.  If you want a technical analysis,
well, I'd like some data first... and money.

So unless you somehow think my GCIH and CISSP certifications require me to
support Barack "Empty Suit" Obama, I'm not sure what's left to discuss here.

It was a comment about politics and the media, nothing more.

Welcome to funsec...

:)